Possible corrupt disklabel and more

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 24 20:17:52 PST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, ravi pina wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:30:44PM +0300, Maxim Konovalov said at one point in time:
> > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, 14:21-0500, Jim Rees wrote:
> >
> > > I've often wished I had a tool that searches a raw disk for superblocks then
> > > suggests a possible disklabel.  Surely someone has already written this?
> >
> > Sure.  We have one in our src tree: src/tools/tools/find-sb.
>
> which version?  i didn't see it in my 4.8 tree.

If you're running 4.x, try:

  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/scan_ffs_freebsd4/

That's a port of the OpenBSD tool.  There was a version adapted for UFS2
floating around somewhere also, but if you're running 4.x that's not an
issue.  It has a mode that spits out the disklabel -- make sure to run it
on the disk slice so you get offsets relative to the slice.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research