strange performance dip shown by iozone

mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Feb 20 08:47:58 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004, mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com wrote:
=> I'm trying to tune the amrd-based RAID5 and have made several iozone
=> runs on the array and -- for comparision -- on the single disk
=> connected to the Serial ATA controller directly.
[...]
=> The filesystems displayed different performance (reads are better
=> with RAID, writes -- with the single disk), but both have shown a
=> notable dip in writing (and re-writing) speed when iozone used the
=> record lengthes of 128 and 256. Can someone explain that? Is that a
=> known fact? How can that be avoided?

=This is known as the small write problem for RAID 5. Basically,
=any write smaller than the RAID 5 stripe size is performed using
=an expensive read-modify-write operation so that the parity can be
=recomputed.

I don't think, this is a valid explanation. First, there is no
"performance climb" as the record length goes up, there is a "dip". In
case of RAID5 it starts at higher level at reclen 4, decreases slowly to
128 and then drops dramaticly at record lengths of 256 and 512, to climb
back up at 1024 and stay up. Here is the iozone's output to illustrate:

	 Size:             RAID5:       Single disk:
	      KB  reclen   write	  write (Kb/second)
	 2097152       4   18625	  17922
	 2097152       8   16794	  17004
	 2097152      16   15744	  23967
	 2097152      32   15514	  20476
	 2097152      64   14693	  18245
	 2097152     128   12518	  17598
	 2097152     256    6370	  29418
	 2097152     512    8596	  35997
	 2097152    1024   16015	  36098
	 2097152    2048   15588	  35207
	 2097152    4096   16016	  36832
	 2097152    8192   15907	  37927
	 2097152   16384   15810	  32620

I'd dismiss it as the controller's heurestics' artifact, but the single
disk results show a similar (if not as profound) pattern of write
performance changes. Could there be something about the FS?

Also, is the RAID5 writing speed supposed to be _so much_ worse, than
that of a single disk?

=The solution is to not do that. If you expect lots of small random
=writes and you can't do anything about it, you need to either use
=RAID 1 instead of RAID 5, or use a log-structured filesystem, such as
=NetBSD's LFS.

This partition is intended to store huge backup files (database
dumps mostly). Reading and writing will, likely, be limited by the
(de)compression speed anyway, so the I/O performance is satisfactory as
it is. I just wanted to have some benchmarks to help us decide, what to
get for other uses in the future.

Thanks!

	-mi