How to read bad blocks error message & marking of same

DH dhutch9999 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 11:58:56 PDT 2004

Hello;

OS 4.10-2 i386 - have read man pgs for fsck and badsec & done a bit of googl'n -

I've begun rec'ing these error messages:

ad0s1a: hard error reading fsbn 141935 of 70848 - 71103 (ad0s1 bn 141935; cn 8  tn 212  sn 59 ) status=59 error=40

Got about 7 of these with varying values.

I ran Seagate's diag utility and it reported only 1 bad block.  Unfortunately ad0s1a happens to my / dir so allowing the utility to write zeros to that block hasn't sat well with me.

Sooo - if some one could explain the exact meaning of my error message & point me in the right direction to use these values to fix my disk problem I'd greatly appreciate it
(with many many many thanks in advance :) )

fsbn 141935 of 70848 - 71103 ?

 ad0s1 bn 141935  ?

cn 8 ?

tn 212 ?