SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED

treeml treeml at itree.org
Tue Nov 25 20:28:18 PST 2003

My machine is a FreeBSD 5.1-Relase, with either UFS or UFS2 filesystem.

I must have switch off the electricity before the machine finishes shutting
down.  (I did "shutdown -h now", and waited at least 5 mins before I turned
off the switch) Now the /usr partition won't mount.  In the past 24 hr, I
have look all over the Internet, and try all the recommendations.  Nothing
seems to work. Following are errors I got.

The /usr is partition on "/dev/ad0s1f".

 -----------------------------------
-su-2.05b# mount /dev/ad0s1f /mnt/
-------------------------------------

When I try to fsck the partition I get the following errors,

---------------------------------------
bash-2.05b# fsck dev/ad0s1f
** /dev/ad0s1f

CANNOT READ BLK: 114411168
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 114411168, 114411169,
114411170, 114411171,

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] y

32 is not a file system superblock
SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED. YOU MUST USE THE
-b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8).

bash-2.05b# fsck dev/ad0s1f
** /dev/ad0s1f

CANNOT READ BLK: 114411168
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 114411168, 114411169,
114411170, 114411171,

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] y

32 is not a file system superblock
SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED. YOU MUST USE THE
-b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8).

I have also try,
dd if=/dev/ad0s1f skip=32 of=/dev/ad0s1f seek=16 bs=512 count=16

also no luck.

Does anyone know how I can get the parition mounted or just to partially
recover the data from that partition?

Thanks in advance

Tree