[Off topic] Trashed NT disk

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 23 10:55:22 PDT 2003

A slightly off topic question, but hopefully someone here can shed a
little light for me.

A friend of mine had the misfortune of accidently deleting the partition
table off a 60 gb ntfs drive during an NT install.  The disk appears to
be intact with the exception of of the partition table, and I'm trying
to work out how to reconstruct it so that we can gain access to the ntfs
partition again.  Is this something that anyone here has had to fight
with?  I've tried contructing a new partition (on a different drive)
within win2000 and repeating the process so that I've got a disk with
non-critical data to play with, but so far all my "intelligent" guesses
about what should be in the partition table have resulted in failure.
One of the things that is confusing me is how the geometry reported by
the drive in a freebsd dmesg relates to the "bios" picture of the
geometry that I appear to be able to tweak with in fdisk.

Can anyone here help me?  The rest of you are hereby granted permission
to laugh and laugh! ;o}.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/