fistgen-0.0.7 released (stackable file systems)

Erez Zadok ezk at cs.sunysb.edu
Sat Aug 2 18:59:18 PDT 2003

We've released fistgen-0.0.7.  This includes new features, lots of bug fixes
for stability (esp. to Linux templates), and new FreeBSD 4.x/5.0 ports.

Get the new tarball from

	ftp://ftp.filesystems.org/pub/fist/fistgen-0.0.7.tar.gz

Here's the relevant portion of the NEWS file:

*** Notes specific to fistgen 0.0.7:

Major new features and changes:

- FreeBSD-5: A totally new port of stackable templates for FreeBSD 5.0.
  Verified with base0fs, wrapfs, and cryptfs using a large compile build,
  fsx, and our own home-brewed tools.

- FreeBSD-4.x: rewritten the ports of stackable templates for FreeBSD 4.x.
  Verified on 4.[5678].  Tested with base0fs, wrapfs, and cryptfs using a
  large compile build, fsx, and our own home-brewed tools.

- Linux-2.4 templates:
	* stacking on extended attribute methods
	* MAJOR OVERHAUL AND FIXES of SCA CODE (gzipfs, uuencodefs, copyfs)

Minor new features and changes:

- Remove duplicate template directories from source tree.  Change fistgen so
  it first looks for an OS-specific template directory and then a more
  general directory.  For example, if uname is "FreeBSD-4.8-RELEASE", then
  fistgen will search for templates in "templates/FreeBSD-4.8-RELEASE"
  first.  If not found there, it'll search in "templates/FreeBSD-4" next.
  This way we can have a default template dir for multiple releases, for
  which the template sources really haven't changed, and we can avoid
  including duplicate sources in the distribution.

- Linux-2.4 templates:
	minor changes to support Linux on IA-64

Bug fixes:

- cryptfs: validate file name length in cryptfs (in case it's mounted on an
  existing, unencrypted set of files

- fistgen:
	* turn off maintainer-mode in configure
	* support old and newer flex-2.5.31
	* ensure fistgen compiles with latest gcc (multi-line strings etc.)

- Linux-2.2 templates:
	* symbol conflict cleanup
	* ioctls correctly return error codes
	* stat(2) reports correct no. of disk blocks
	* update atime/mtime properly
	* check return value from kmalloc

- Linux-2.4 templates:
	* check if file's private data is NULL before deref'ing it
	* validate file name length returned by {en,de}code_filename
	* attach-mode locking bugs fixed
	* hidden inode reference count leaks fixed
	* truncate down/up now purging truncated pages
	* and more

Happy Stacking,
Erez and the fistgen team (Charles, Hari, Ion, Kiran, and Puja)