PATCH: Forcible delaying of UFS (soft)updates

Marko Zec zec at tel.fer.hr
Thu Apr 17 17:46:10 PDT 2003

On Friday 18 April 2003 02:17, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I think people would be happier if you just stopped the soft
> updates sync clock, and then if someone actually fsync()'ed, or
> the dependency list got too big, it spun up the disk, completed
> all the I/O quickly, and then spun it down again.

The updated patch does precisely what you just described above. It already
includes a tunable vfs.ena_lazy_fsync (off by default) which allows choosing
whether blocking (standard) or null- fsync() semantics apply. Check out
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=15720+0+current/freebsd-fs
:)

Marko