newfs_msdos modifies BPB for bootable dos partition?

Geoff Buckingham geoffb at chuggalug.clues.com
Fri Apr 4 06:14:49 PST 2003

When creating a new FAT32 filesystem withe newfs_msdos using the -B option
to provide a boot sector (Larger than one sector) should newfs_msdos make
all the required changes to the BPB to produce a bootable  dos partition?
(Provided that IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM corresponding to the
boot secotor are copied into the fs next)

I am using 28 sectors from win95sr2 and success seems dependant on using similar
disk geometry to the doner fs. Do I need this much data? Most of it must be
that bitmap image that gets splashed all over the screen.

Am I just missing out some obscure parameter, or is work required on one of the
other FAST32 specific structures?

http://www.file-recovery.net/downloads/filerecovery.pdf
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win9x/fat32_6re8.asp