Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Aug 21 17:47:20 UTC 2008

> > More accurately:
> >
> > 	the camera itself works
> >
> > 	VIA controller can do fwcontrol -R
> >
> > 	VIA controller attempting to do fwcontrol -S gives dropouts
> > 	on a regular basis, every couple seconds.  NEC does the same
> > 	thing if in CYCLEMASTER mode.  I have not been able to get
> > 	the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode.  See today's attempt to
> > 	do so using fwcontrol -f above.
> >
> > 	NEC controller can do fwcontrol -S (after switching to
> > 	non-CYCLEMASTER mode)
> >
> > 	NEC controller used to do fwcontrol -R
> >
> > 	Now, if camera is connected to NEC controller and I press play
> > 	(sending DV data to computer), lots of bus resets happen.  The
> > 	resets have nothing to do with running fwcontrol.  The resets
> > 	happen even if fwcontrol has not been run at all since FreeBSD
> > 	was rebooted.

> So, at this point I have done "something" to the NEC controller to
> remove functionality.

Maybe, maybe not.  It might have been fwcontrol, or it might have
been putting the camera in "camera" mode instead of "vcr" mode.
The previous time I tried that, nothing at all happened.  I don't
remember which controller it was connected to last time, so it might
have been the VIA.  The goal being to capture video live, rather than
having to record it on tape, rewind, play back.  Previously I got
no indication that the camera was sending any data to the computer,
this time I got the bus reset spewage.  I would think that the data
would be the same either way (live or tape), but perhaps there is
some difference which messed up the NCR.

In hindsight, that was a bad time to throw in another variable.  :-(

I tried booting NetBSD, looks like they ported FreeBSD's firewire over,
but an older version without the -f option I need.  As you might expect,
I get similar spewage from NetBSD:

fwohci1: BUS reset
fwohci1: node_id=0xc000ffc0, gen=53, CYCLEMASTER mode
ieee1394if1: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0, cable IRM = 0 (me)
ieee1394if1: bus manager 0 (me)
fwohci1: BUS reset
fwohci1: node_id=0xc000ffc1, gen=72, CYCLEMASTER mode
ieee1394if1: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
ieee1394if1: bus manager 0
ieee1394if1: split transaction timeout dst=0xffc0 tl=0x18 state=3
fwohci1: BUS reset
fwohci1: node_id=0xc000ffc0, gen=76, CYCLEMASTER mode
ieee1394if1: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0, cable IRM = 0 (me)
ieee1394if1: bus manager 0 (me)
fwohci1: BUS reset
fwohci1: node_id=0xc000ffc1, gen=103, CYCLEMASTER mode
ieee1394if1: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
ieee1394if1: bus manager 0

> >> 3.  Is there a bug reported on your VIA VT6307?
> >>

> > yes
> >
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=113785&cat=kern
> >
> > If we assume that I need to get the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode,
> > (since that worked with the NEC), any ideas why
> >
> > 	fwcontrol -u 0 -f 0
> > 	fwcontrol -u 0 -r
> >
> > doesn't force the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode the way
> > it (with -u 1) works for NEC?
> >

> I will review this bug later in the morning and see if I can understand
> your current implementation.

Thanks.

> This seems a strange way to use your camera to me

Strange how?