Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Aug 21 02:10:11 UTC 2008

> > I moved the cable from the NEC port (bus 1) to the VIA port (bus 0)
> >
> > # fwcontrol -u 0 -f 0
> > send phy_config root_node=0 gap_count=-1
> >
> > console says: nothing
> >
> > # fwcontrol -u 0 -r
> >
> > console says:
> >
> > fwohci0: Initiate bus reset
> > fwohci0: BUS reset
> > fwohci0: node_id=0xc800ffc1, gen=5, CYCLEMASTER mode	<-- should be non-CYCLEMASTER mode?  :-(
> > firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
> > firewire0: bus manager 1 (me)
> >
> > # fwcontrol -u 0 -t
> > crc_len: 4 generation:5 node_count:2 sid_count:2
> > id link gap_cnt speed delay cIRM power port0 port1 port2 ini more
> > 00    1       5  S100     0    1    0W     -     P         0    0
> > 01    1       5  S400     0    1   15W     -     C         1    0
> >
> > # fwcontrol -u 0 -R camera.dv
> > Detected DV format on input.
> > NTSC
> > 012345678901234567890123456789
> > 012345678901234567890123456789
> > 012345678901234567890123456789
> >
> > console says: nothing
> >
> > I then powered down the camera, moved the cable back to the
> > NEC port, powered up, put the NEC into non-CYCLEMASTER mode,
> > ran fwcontrol -S and the DV file played fine.  So: the camera
> > itself works fine, and the VIA controller can do -R even in
> > CYCLEMASTER mode.
> >
> > So I'm back to my theory that the NEC controller is slightly unhappy.
> > But what I'd really like, is a way to get the onboard VIA VT6307 controller
> > to do fwcontrol -S correctly.  The NEC controller card is using up a slot
> > I need for other things.
> >
> So your current status is:  Camera works with VIA controller.  Camera
> still doesn't work with NEC controller.

More accurately:

	the camera itself works

	VIA controller can do fwcontrol -R

	VIA controller attempting to do fwcontrol -S gives dropouts
	on a regular basis, every couple seconds.  NEC does the same
	thing if in CYCLEMASTER mode.  I have not been able to get
	the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode.  See today's attempt to
	do so using fwcontrol -f above.

	NEC controller can do fwcontrol -S (after switching to
	non-CYCLEMASTER mode)

	NEC controller used to do fwcontrol -R

	Now, if camera is connected to NEC controller and I press play
	(sending DV data to computer), lots of bus resets happen.  The
	resets have nothing to do with running fwcontrol.  The resets
	happen even if fwcontrol has not been run at all since FreeBSD
	was rebooted.

> 1.  Does the camera work with the unpatched version of fwcontrol and the
> NEC controller?

	NEC controller can do fwcontrol -S (after switching to
        non-CYCLEMASTER mode)

> 2.  The NEC controller is a PCI card.

yes

> Does anything else work with the
> NEC controller(external HD?).

unknown

> 3.  Is there a bug reported on your VIA VT6307?

yes

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=113785&cat=kern

If we assume that I need to get the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode,
(since that worked with the NEC), any ideas why

	fwcontrol -u 0 -f 0
	fwcontrol -u 0 -r

doesn't force the VIA into non-CYCLEMASTER mode the way
it (with -u 1) works for NEC?