Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Wed Aug 20 06:08:24 UTC 2008

> >> This alarms me quite a bit.  I didn't think there was anyway for the
> >> generation to change
> >> without the log message being spit out.  Interesting.
> >>

> > Perhaps there is some register on the controller chip that
> > affects receiving data but not sending it, and isn't getting
> > initialized.  Perhaps the controller chip thinks it is receiving
> > bad data, and flags an error or requests a bus reset?
> >
> > If the resets are happening faster than the printf can run,
> > maybe the data (generation number) changes underneath the printf,
> > much like ps/top don't get a pure snapshot?
> >
> Hrm...First, let's try and get your camera working again.
>
> I would like you to try and connect your camera to a Mac, Linux or
> Windows box and try to get it working again.

As far as I can tell the camera is working fine.

For example I can send DV data *to* the camera over firewire and it
happily converts it to analog and ships it out s-video to the TV.

And the data *from* the camera is recognized as DV:

	fwcontrol_prev -u 1 -R camera.dv
	Detected DV format on input.
	(EAGAIN)
	(EAGAIN)
	(EAGAIN)

The camera was of course powered off while I tested the argument
range checks.  And I only ran tests that seemed safe.  I'm not
*completely* insane.