Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Mon Aug 18 22:27:02 UTC 2008

Dieter wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that none of this stuff that
> fwcontrol sets should carry across a reboot?  And that
> the firewire controller should get completely reset
> by a reboot?

My assumption is that no settings should survive a reboot.
> I'm getting some bad results.  Attempt to recover:
>
> Changed symlink from current fwcontrol to known working fwcontrol_prev.
> Powered off camcorder.
> Rebooted FreeBSD.
> Powered on camcorder.
> Ran fix_dv script to get FreeBSD into "non CYCLEMASTER mode".
> 	fwcontrol -u 1 -f 0
> 	fwcontrol -u 1 -r
> Start playing a tape (so I can run fwcontrol -R)

Hrm ... the old code closed "fd" and then re-opened it.  I have
duplicated that behavior in the attached patch.

> Needless to say, fwcontrol -R no longer works.
>
> I ran the fixit script again, and fwcontrol -S does work.
>
> I notice that it doesn't print every generation.
> I notice that the node_id changes.

This alarms me quite a bit.  I didn't think there was anyway for the
generation to change
without the log message being spit out.  Interesting.

I have been suspicious of a race condition for some time in the firewire
stack, I see it across multiple
devices(sbp, sbp_targ) and now fwcontrol is acting weird.  Very interesting.
> FreeBSD 7.0
> AMD64
> fw controller: NEC uPD72871/2
>
> Ideas?

Yes.  Try the attached patch.  Let me know.

--
Sean Bruno
MiraLink Corporation
MSN: sbruno at miralink.com