problems getting ufs_copy working

Oliver Hoffmann oliver.hoffmann at uw-service.de
Mon Jul 7 06:12:18 PDT 2003

Hi all!

Maybe this question is digressing, but probably other people here are
interested in ufs_copy too.
I just installed ufs_copy on my FreeBSD5.1-box. I tried to make an image from
my firewire-device to a file. It crashed with a core.dump:

# /sbin/ufs_copy -a /dev/da0s1e /data/backupfile
copying /dev/da0s1e to /daten/backupfile
ufs_version: 1, cg_size: 178.000 MB, fs_size: 152.664 GB
cg    0/879 :Bad system call (core dumped)

I first tried it with an rw mounted filesystem (/usr), then with my unmounted
fw-hd (/dev/da0s1e) but I get always this crash.

The backupfile seems to be as big as the source but of course it can't:

-rw-------   1 root  wheel          153G Jul  7 12:51 backupfile

I don't know whether the ufs_copy.core is interesting or not. For me it seems
to be a general problem (do I have ufs2?).
Thanks,

Oliver.