FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

Enji Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 19:34:04 UTC 2019

> On Sep 1, 2019, at 10:42 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If the fallouts could be better organized through some simple guidelines, that would be more accepted I think:
>
> 1) Don't commit stuff before going off work. Even though a change looks innocent, it might break something and you'll need to fix it.
>
> 2) Organize big changes going into the kernel, to ease debugging and getting things back on track again.
>
> 3) If your patch is risky, commit it on a Monday. Don't wait until Friday.
>
> Failure to follow the rules may have consequences like other senior developers kicking in and doing temporary reverts until issues are resolved.

Agreed. There’s a reason why at my most former job (FB) we generally knew better than to commit code on a Friday. It would cause the weekend oncalls a lot of grief.

Let’s put it this way: think of it like being oncall for code. If you don’t have someone else to work with who can manage it, would you like to be paged if something went south with your code committed on a Friday?

Cheers,
-Enji