FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 29 23:54:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 10:47, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com> wrote:

> One last thing I'd like to say: We should stop to try to control FreeBSD
> contributions, it is not doing good for the project. Let it be, let it go,
> there is no owner, just go and fix things.

I don't see things that way. Other projects I contribute to (like
LLVM) have a comprehensive test suite, and a culture that expects
tests to be run before commit. Many projects run the tests
automatically as part of the contribution process (e.g. GitHub pull
requests).

Rather than being some bureaucratic hurdle this actually supports
casual contributors - because the contributor has more confidence that
their change isn't going to break the build or introduce a regression,
and doesn't need to remain attentive for the next days or weeks in
case of unexpected failures as a result of the change.