erlang-runtime package

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Jul 29 12:35:06 UTC 2018

On 29/07/2018 07:41, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, at 00:47, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> Hi, What's the difference between erlang or erlang-wx and
> erlang base is whatever the current default erlang is.
>
> Erlang- runtime-* are older or newer releases to allow compatibility
> for various applications just like we have multiple php and llvm
> versions in ports.
> WX is GUI bindings to wxwidgets obviously it pulls in X and gtk as well
> which isn’t necessaryfor servers. By way of example, erlang has a nice
> GUI tool called observer that needs these bindings.
> All of them support make options if you want to build with wx or dtrace
> etc so you can have whatever you want.
> Most of the erlang-dependent ports require a minimum of the base erlang
> port but can be built against newer releases.
> A+

Thanks Dave,
Does it mean that packages erlang and erlang-runtime19 are equivalent
(at lest for now while erlang defaults to 19)?
When the default erlang version is upgraded to the next erlang-runtime
version?
Can I use erlang-runtime to build with wx enabled (i.e. erlang-runtime21
for that matter)?
GrzegorzJ