How to properly install a Linux desktop app?

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Mon Jun 22 20:24:04 UTC 2020

Quoting "Mikhail T." <mi+t at aldan.algebra.com> (from Fri, 19 Jun 2020
14:59:35 -0400):

> On 19.06.20 04:52, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> You should not use USE_LINUX_RPM. It's meant for infrastructure ports.
>
> Yes, this is the current stance, but it seems like an unnecessary
> limitation... :( Software distributed by vendors in RPM-format
> should be easier for ports to install.

Some history of why it is like it is. Back then before I introduced
this, the linuxulator was a self contained area. At some point I took
over the maintenance and converted a lot of parts into a
fall-through-to-FreeBSD-files behavior (my goal was to have all config
files which exist in FreeBSD and are compatible, to be used). As part
of this, some stuff which was installed by default before was then
made optional... or more modular if you want. As part of this
modularisation, USE_LINUX_RPM was born, and most of it --- if not all
--- has survived 2 linux-base-ports maintainer-generations.

> Please, consider changing this.

Well... feel free to come up with a good plan. A lot of this linux
stuff doesn't fit as it is, and some of the linux stuff has hardcoded
expectations which don't match with what FreeBSD uses or used. Most
often (at least back when I took care about some linux stuff) was to
let leaf ports install into LINUXBASE and to provide a wrapper or link
in PREFIX. This means most of the time customization was needed anyway
(in the past), and most of the time (in the past) a simple dump into
PREFIX wouldn't have worked anyway. If you have a good idea how to
handle that, we will listen.

http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander at Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF
http://www.FreeBSD.org    netchild at FreeBSD.org  : PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF