VirtualBox Regression: Missing Devices On Guest

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:42:22 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-12 01:57, mfv via freebsd-emulation wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using WindowsXP with SP3 as a guest within VirtualBox on a
> FreeBSD host for many years.  However, some time ago I lost the
> capability to produce any sound and then after awhile when I needed to
> use the DVD discovered that it too no longer worked.  Both sound and
> CD/DVD operate properly in native mode on FreeBSD amd64 r12.1p6.
> The version of VirtualBox is 5.2.34.
>
> I am able to attach the DVD to the VM but it crashes when I start it
> and gives the following Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE  (0x80004005)
>
> I have doubled checked the permissions as specified in the installation
> message as well as the FreeBSD Handbook.
>
> I have searched the web for a solution but have not found anything that
> works.  The very same issue was recorded against ticket number18211 on
> the VirtualBox website.  Their response was to state that "FreeBSD in
> not an officially supported host.  Please report this to the FreeBSD
> port maintainers".  This user's version of VirtualBox was v5.2.22
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> With thanks,
>
> Marek

Hi Marek,

I do not know what is the precise solution for your problem. But I
should tell you the following :

1) The freebsd-emulation mailing list is low profile - you can send in a
query but often they go unanswered.

2) I had extreme problems with VirtualBox under FreeBSD 12.1. I deleted
that installation by installing 11.3 over it. Things are much better now.

3) You could wait for 16 June. If no good answer becomes available by
then to your problem, consider installing 11.4. You can then install a
new XP vm in 11.4 - which I am quite sure will suit you.

Regards,
Manish Jain