Accelerated graphics in vbox 6

Johannes Lundberg johalun at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 21 17:26:07 UTC 2019

Hi vbox folks! (cc: x11 list)

According to this
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=virtualbox-60-vmsvga&num=1
vbox can now use the vmwgfx kernel driver for accelerated graphics. With
that I assume that virtualbox's own drm driver project is scrapped.

I've been working on porting vmwgfx from Linux to our linuxkpi. It works
pretty well with freebsd 13 as vmware guest on macos as long you're
using only one vcpu (some race condition issue to be solved..).  It
would be cool if we could get accelerated graphics in vbox, with freebsd
as both host and guest since vmware can't run as host on freebsd.

Do you have any idea what would be required to get the host side of
things working? Will it work automagically if the freebsd host has a drm
driver loaded or do we need to port some code form linux/ to freebsd/
within virtualbox?

I'm happy to work together with you and put more effort into getting
vmwgfx running stable in vmware/vbox if we can get host side of things
working in vbox 6.

Cheers!
/Johannes