Linux ports roadmap

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 8 17:35:11 UTC 2019

Hi,

These are the current rough dates I have in mind for some major changes
to the Linux ports.  Please comment if you see any problems.

July 10 (after FreeBSD 11.3 release)
Make linux c7 ports the default.  This is one month after today's major
update to the c7 ports and after 2019Q3 branching.  It's also early in Q3
so any problems can be fixed before 2019Q4 branching.

On amd64 it's possible to install 32 bit c6 ports, mixed 32/64 bit
c6_64 ports (current default), or mixed 32/64 bit c7 ports.  The 32 bit
c6 option only exists for users of x11/nvidia-driver* which did not
support 64 bit until recently.  This 64 bit support required some kernel
changes that will be in FreeBSD 11.3 so after its release I'd like to
get rid of the 32 bit c6 option, i.e. c6 will become mixed 32/64 bit and
c6_64 and the special handling for it will go away.  This makes c6
similar to c7.

December 31
Remove CentOS 6 ports.  There's no need to keep them if c7 works.  We
may have c8 ports to deal with by this time as well.