Something messed up in linux emulation

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:24:34 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Theron <theron.tarigo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you miss my point. I know how to install  linux-c7-libpng. My
> concern is why this whole set of ports was not already installed.
>
> Sorry to have been unclear.  I meant to suggest that linux-c7-libpng was
> already "installed" i.e. registered as such, but that its files were
> missing due to some other problem.
>
> I kept adding one port after another, but I have no idea where that ends.
> The ports  system should install all dependencies automatically. Since only
> a single linux emulation port is a dependency, I guessed that linux-c7-gtk2
> is the culprit, bu reinstalling it generated that odd message:
> Installing linux-c7-gtk2-2.24.31...
> /compat/linux/usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0-32: error while loading
> shared libraries: libpng15.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> Looking at linux-c7-gtk2, I see "USE_LINUX=      atk gdkpixbuf2 pango
> xorglibs". I have already re-installed atk and pango, but the others are
> not installed. Since pkg shows that these are not installed, I would have
> expected that building linux-c7-gtk2 to have installed them.
> /usr/ports/Mk/Uses/linux.mk states "# USE_LINUX     List of Linux
> packages to depend on." So I am baffled as to why these ports are not being
> installed. (I have tried both portmaster(8) and a simple make(1).) Clearly
> something is broken here and it looks a lot like the ports system, mabey
> linux.mk.
>
> Deleting /compat/linux/usr/lib/libpng15.so.15* (but leaving
> linux-c7-libpng "installed", although damaged) and then installing
> linux-c7-gtk2 seems to reproduce the behavior you are seeing.  If I remove
> linux-c7-libpng completely, by 'pkg remove' or 'make deinstall', then a
> 'make install' for linux-c7-gtk2 installs the libpng as expected.
>
> On your system, is the Linux libpng port not installed at all, or is there
> some possibility the installation is damaged?
>
> The linux gtk2 has a USE_LINUX for gdkpixbuf2, which in turn has a
> USE_LINUX for png.  While ideally installing a port would check for all
> needed files, this doesn't seem to work, at least for the Linux ports.

Thanks for lookingat this, but my concern is that installing
nspluginwrapper failed to trigger the installation of these dependencies.

The system does NOT think any of these ports are installed. I ran "pkg
info" on all of them and none showed up as installed. None was installed
when I re-installed linux-c7-gtk2. That includes atk, pango,  gdkpixbf2 or
png (the linux-c7 versions). linux-c7-gtk2 sis install with only the
message about the lack of libpng-15.so.15 that I mentioned. I suspect that
these ports have been missing since I moved to 11.0-BETA, deleted all ports
and reinstalled. At that time nspluginwraper installed without failing, but
it looks like the USES_LINUX dependencies were not re-installed, so any
problem probably goes back that far, though it is possible that they were
deleted more recently.

To be clear, I have been using BSD for over 40 years, originally when doing
some work for UC Davis and FreeBSD for over 20 years. I am quite conversant
(though not expert) in make and Makefiles. I have been using ports for over
20 years and pkg since back when bapt@ was still doing beta testing. my
concern is that these ports were clearly NOT installed and that I could
install nspluginwrapper and, later, linux-c7-gtk2 without the ports system
noticing the missing dependencies.

E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com