Accelerated graphics with linuxkpi and drm-next?

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 8 19:01:37 UTC 2018

On 01/06/2018 08:39, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> Hi vbox folks!
>
> I'm part of the graphics team working on linuxkpi and drm-next graphics.
>
> I'm curious, with these modules in place, how much work would it be to get
> accelerated graphics in vbox with freebsd host/guest.
>
> For freebsd guest additions, looking at the source it seems like porting
> src/VBox/Additions/linux/drm to freebsd should be fairly straightforward
> using linuxkpi and linuxkpi_gplv2.
>
> Anyway feeling up to experimenting with this? :)

I thought about that.  However, the driver is now in Linux staging.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/staging/vboxvideo

And their DDX driver is officially hosted on X.org.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-vbox

I think we should add vboxvideo.ko to graphics/drm-next-kmod and create
a new x11-drivers/xf86-video-vbox port when there's a major release.

Jung-uk Kim