Linuxulator / Chrome

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 28 19:18:26 UTC 2017

(redirected from hackers@, https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2017-June/051111.html )
Mason Loring Bliss <mason at blisses.org> writes:

> Hi all. Will Chrome work on Linuxulator if I chase down enough dependencies?
> I'm trying to get BlueJeans running, and it's balking in both Firefox and
> Chromium on FreeBSD (11-STABLE) so I figured I'd give Chrome under the
> Linuxulator a try. I hit several missing libraries until I realized I needed
> to install the whole linux-c6 (also tried linux-c7) suite.

BlueJeans seems to use WebRTC nowadays, so at least the demo works fine
in native Firefox 54 with User-Agent string for Linux. Native Chromium 56
or later disables WebRTC as the support was incomplete.

As for Linux version of Chrome try a regular chroot populated via
sysutils/debootstrap or sysutils/rinse. To get audio working install
alsa-plugins-oss or libasound2-plugins then copy asound.conf from
FreeBSD port. PulseAudio may need more care but Chrome is not Firefox,
so prebuilt binaries also support ALSA.

Beware of drag^W missing syscalls.