VirtualBox mangles memory

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:20:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Martin Birgmeier <la5lbtyi at aon.at> wrote:

> I don't think it is related to zfs. The 8GB machine did not even have
> zfs loaded or a zfs file system when I first reported the problem. (The
> problem with 'zfs send' only happened recently on the 16GB machine.)
>
> I'd like to know what has changed between FBSD 9 and 10 regarding memory
> management and maybe memory tuning parameters.

I run VBox w/ zfs send at dozen times a day on several systems on 10-STABLE
pre and post 10.2.  Never seen the symptoms you describe.

> I am quite sure that the
> cause is to be found there

I don't see any cause for surety in the info you have given us.  Have you
tried any basic steps like monitoring usage during these events or running
it under truss/valgrind etc to find out what is going on?

--
Adam