VNC in virtualbox-ose-4.2.6

Søren Schrøder sch at chaos.dk
Tue Jan 15 23:29:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Edho Arief <edho at myconan.net> wrote:

> This also costed me few hours googling and few recompiles to find this:
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50085
>
> and this http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-September/078427.html

Thanks for these excelent pointers. Just what I needed.

A small recap for future googlers

VNC implementation is changed from 4.1 to 4.2. No more --vnc option in 4.2.

to enable VNC in 4.2, stil check the VNC option in "make config"
before building the port, and then do (for a vm called test1):

VBoxManage setproperty vrdeextpack VNC

VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeproperty VNCPassword=somepass
VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeauthlibrary null
VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeport 5901
VBoxHeadless --startvm test1

if moving from a 4.1 installation and using the rc.conf way of
starting vms, remove the "--vnc --vncport 5901 --vncpass=somepass"
from vboxheadless_test1_flags

getting rid of the --vncpass option was nice. Everyone with access to
ps could see the password. Now the cleartext password is stored in the
test1.vbox control file (with -rw------- rights)

some google bait: FreeBSD Virtualbox 4.2 VNC howto enable vnc console headless

--
Søren Schrøder.
Obey Gravity - It's the law !