Can't load vboxnetflt.ko after update virtualbox to 4.2.6

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Thu Jan 10 13:14:14 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-10 00:45, Alexey V. Panfilov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> After update virtualbox from 4.1.22 to 4.2.6 vboxnetflt module can't
> load:
>
> [work-book]# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxnet start
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxnet: WARNING: Can't load vboxnetflt module.
>
> And /var/log/messages contains
>
> Jan 10 10:36:06 work-book kernel: link_elf: symbol ng_free_item
> undefined
>

> With 4.1.22 all works fine.
>
> Some additional info:
>
> FreeBSD work-book.lehis.ru 8.3-STABLE FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #4: Thu Nov
> 8
> 14:38:26 MSK 2012
> root at work-book.lehis.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOOK-8-STABLE  i386
>
> Build options for virtualbox-ose-kmod:
>
> ===> The following configuration options are available for
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.2.6:
>      DEBUG=on: Debug symbols, additional logs and assertions
>      VIMAGE=off: VIMAGE virtual networking support
>
> Please, say direction for resolve this issue.
>
> Thanks.

The general reason this occurs is because of a mismatch of your kernel
and your kernel module.  Try rebuilding your kernel and rebooting and it
will likely load as that has worked for me in the past and I did not
have problems loading this time.  However, I am running on 9.1 amd64 so
I am on a different platform for you so I haven't tried to duplicate.

Rusty Nejdl