does phpvirtualbox support remote console? or virtualbox supports vnc without X?

Joe Sciulli jsciulli2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 02:10:12 UTC 2011

hi, my phpvirtualbox works, except that I can only see screenshot of the guests, while the "Console" tab on the top is greyed.  This page http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/source/browse/wiki/Installation.wiki?r=210 said:

"In order to access a VM's console over RDP (via phpVirtualBox's console tab, or other RDP client) you must install the *Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack* from: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads"

However, although VirtualBox Extension Pack can be installed, "VBoxManage list extpacks" outputs the following:

VRDE Module:  VBoxVRDP
Usable:       false
Why unusable: Failed to locate the main module ('VBoxPuelMain')

So does that mean, phpvirtualbox on freebsd does NOT have Console feature?  Without remote console phpvirtualbox would be useless!  Or did I miss anything?

Another option to have remote console is just to use the virtualbox's builtin VNC support.  But I want to have no X installed on the host.  Does that VNC work with no X installed on the host?