cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu chapter.sgml

Tue Dec 13 08:31:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:28:43 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On 12/10/2011 13:29, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> >> Yes, this was discussed in the PR (see
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2011-December/019270.html
> >> ). I think the best and safer way would be for bsdinstall to create
> >> the link if possible.
> >
> > This is very easy to do, and the correct place is in
> > /usr/src/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/config. I don't have a good
> > sense of what the correct logic is, however, and so would
> > appreciate either guidance or patches from emulation-types.
>
> I don't understand why the linux_base ports are not sorting this out
> on their own. Why should this be a function of the installer?

The current state:
 - the kernel has a hardcoded /compat/linux
 - the ports framework (not the linux_base port) does a
   mkdir -p $PREFIX before the install
 - the PREFIX for the linux_base ports is /compat/linux (POLA)

The only part where we could do something in the port, is for the
PREFIX. Now... what are the implications to change this?
 - ports exp-run and commit and ports-tree-retagging and
   rebuilding of the ports for the release
 - users which see a different prefix than they are use to
 - a mess in the linux_base port to determine every
   possibility what the user did to /compat and to try to do
   the right thing

The last item is the most critical IMO. Personally I had once 2
different linux bases in /compat (activated by changing a link). I do
not expect much users like this, but the point is, that we do not know
what an user has in /compat, so messing around with it is dangerous.

One thing what we could do is to check in the linux_base port
if /compat is a symlink or not. If it isn't we error out and tell the
user to fix it. But then... is this still POLA? In cases where /compat
is a directory already, nothing bad will happen during an update, so
no need to error out (one of our credos is "features, not policies"). I
expect that in most cases it is already a symlink (when sysinstall was
used to install a system, which should be true for the majority of
normal users).

I'm open to your suggestions.