"headed" virtualbox + vnc

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Fri Dec 2 05:05:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 01:14:34AM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> >> Is it possible to start a guess VM with GUI and also be able to access it via VNC?
> >> All google hits for freebsd+virtualbox+vnc are about VBoxHeadless.
> >
> > Probably not simultaneously, but you can close the GUI with the "Save the
> > machine state" option and then bring it back to life as a headless VM
> > (presumably with vnc).
> >
> > Use VBoxManage controlvm ... savestate to stop the headless VM and then start
> > it again in GUI mode.

> The reason I am asking is that apparently that feature is available with RDP
> (via Devices -> Enable Remote Display).  So I hoped for the same with VNC.

Apparently it is not. There is some discussion on the VirtualBox
boards about issues relating to VNC, the GPL, and inclusion with
VBox, so that could have something to do with its absence in the
GUI config.

But as mentioned, you can start VBoxHeadless with VNC enabled, and
then connect to the VM using both local and remote VNC clients --
which seems to give you pretty much the same thing...

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL