VBox 4.0.4 testing : keyboard layout issue

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Mon Apr 4 11:05:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:46:23 -0700, Tobias Oberstein wrote:
> I am testing
>
> https://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r1273.tar.gz
>
> on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64.
>
> So far, both a Windows XP SP2 (vdi imported from other machine) and a
> Ubuntu 10.10 (fresh install) guest seems to work great. Both with VT
> etc enabled (the host is a Core7 Intel).
>
> I've built only headless (only VNC and VDE support in the ports
> config) and start stuff
>
> VBoxHeadless -n -s buildslave_winxp_vc2010
>
> and access from Windows with TightVNC or VNC Viewer (Real VNC).
>
> Problem is with keyboard map: it is weird  .. I am using a german
> keyboard, y and z are swapped, but the real annoyance are "funny"
> chars like {/$- etc etc. (it's not like the "usual" mixup when running
> german kbd with US map .. )

Sounds a bit weird. We had some similar reports where VNC seems to
filter a few of the keys but nothing yet about mixing them up.

> I tried to config the port with NLS .. but it says that required Qt
> which I don't have/want on that machine.

I guess that won't help because NLS is for translations of the Qt GUI
only.

> Am I expected to do s.th. different or is there anything I can do/try?

No it should just work but I admit that i haven't tested it for quite a
few months. Does it work fine in virtualbox 3.2.x ? Probably it's some
upstream bug because they changed quite a lot in that area and it's
contributed code.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/