Linux Binaries Core Dump

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at speakeasy.org
Fri Sep 24 22:37:37 UTC 2010

I have FreeBSD 8.1-stable as of 9/17.
Most Linux binaries seem to core dump.  However, a recently built (on
Ubuntu) "hello world" works.

I installed the linux_base-f10 port.
I have linux.ko loaded.
I have a 2nd disk with Ubuntu 10.04 on the same machine.  I mounted the
Ubuntu file systems on /Ubuntu.

I want to drop Ubuntu and run only FreeBSD, but, need a few binaries,
like maple and eagle.

Most linux binaries under FreeBSD emulation core dump.

I deinstalled, cleaned, built, and reinstalled linux_base-f10.
I did a portupgrade -rR linux_base-f10.

I think I am missing something.  Any ideas?

tomdean

# kldstat
Id Refs Address Size Name
1 13 0xc0400000 bc324c kernel
2 1 0xc7505000 68000 radeon.ko
3 1 0xc7572000 14000 drm.ko
4 1 0xc7d83000 26000 linux.ko

# /compat/linux/bin/echo "asdf"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
# /Ubuntu/bin/echo "asdf"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

However, hello world, built on Ubuntu works!

# /Ubuntu/home/tomdean/work/hello
Hello, world.

ldd shows the same libraries for echo and hello.

If I boot Ubuntu and mount the FreeBSD file systems,
# /FreeBSD/compat/linux/bin/echo "asdf on Ubuntu"
asdf on Ubuntu