VirtualBox for FreeBSD in an Intel Atom processor

Harald Servat redcrash at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:46:51 UTC 2010

Hello list,

  I'm planning to buy an Intel Atom based computer and install FreeBSD
(probably 8.1) on it, and II was wondering which are my options to run
VirtualBox.

  First of all, recent Intel Atom processors do not support Intel VT-x.
According on the section of Troubleshooting of [1]  it seems that VT-x is no
needed, but according to [2] it seems that VT-x is needed for 64 bit guest.
If this is correct, does it mean that in I'd be only able to install 32 bits
guests in that machine? Even if I install FreeBSD-amd64?

  Another topic would be responsiveness, I know that Atom are not speedy,
but has anyone used it to virtualize another Linux (with or without X11) and
Windows (XP or 7)?

Thank you very much!

[1]http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
[2] http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#intro-64bitguests