Mounting VirtualBox vdi files

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 03:46:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> Is there any hope of a utility like mdconfig that would allow mounting a
> vdi file directly?
>
> There's a tantalizingly-named ImageMounter/VBoxFUSE, which is probably not
> what that implies.
>
> It would be great to be able to access vdi files without having to waste
> time and space converting them to raw image files.

Not that I'm aware of, all tools that do so depend on having a fixed size
image.

You could use a sparse file for the raw format :P  I use some other methods
for getting data from VM's to host and other machines.  One place I do work
for is a linux shop with a couple Win 2k8 VM's.  All disk's are mapped to
LVM's including 2k8's "dedicated" backup drive.  The backup drive(lvm) is
then mapped via kpartx and mounted read-only in the host system so tarsnap
archives can be generated against it.  I actually don't know how you'd do
this under FreeBSD since I'm not aware of any equivalent functionality to
kpartx under FBSD.

--
Adam Vande More