VirtualBox: out of swap space

Samuel Martín Moro faust64 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:38:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to have a few BSD VMs (4.7, 5.5, 6.2, 7.2, 8.1)
running under VirtualBox-OSE / FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-amd64

First problem:
  Sometimes, when I start a VM, all other running VM stop,
  their status switch to 'abort' (or whatever the
  traduction is, here it's "avorté").
  Reading my /var/log/messages, I see a few
  'pid xxxx (VirtualBox), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space'

  I've got 8Gb of RAM, and so assumed I wouldn't need any swap.
  Was I wrong?
  Have I to reinstall my server to add some swap?
  (and if so, how much?!)

  btw, my PC (home) have the same HWare (core i7 930, 8Gb DDR3)
  I can run two 8.1-RELEASE (amd64 + i386), and two debian
  while host is running compiz and all that gay stuff...
  (ArchLinux x86_64)

  except VirtualBox, the server I'm having problems with, is
  hosting some nfs shares and running ion2 (since VBoxVNC
  segfaults... I need a WM). And that's it.

Second problem:
  When I'm creating a disk (in VirtualBox), and while there's
  some scp or so running on other guests, these guests display
  some gvfs errors, about not finding ad0.
  Sometimes, they just halt, and wait I pressed a key to reboot.

Third problem:
  I already posted that on emulation this morning:
  I can't boot FreeBSD-8.1-amd64. It's stuck in
  'md0: preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> x bytes 0xsomewhere'
  nothing else happend...

I could have finished already if I just had installed a Linux
host in the first place...
I read so much posts recently, from FreeBSD/VBox users, saying
everything's working just fine.
I assumed it would be OK.
Obviously not...

Is there some hope sticking with BSD?
(if I can get rid of the swap and the 8.1 problems, it would
be fine enough)

I'm seriously thinking on dropping that BSD idea, and choosing
some random linux to make it work... (and maybe, try xen...)

What should I do?

Thanks for any advices.

Samuel Martín Moro
{EPITECH.} tek4