vbox driver

rondzierwa at comcast.net rondzierwa at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 19:53:52 UTC 2009

I think i got past this one with a quick hack. in mp-r0drv-freebsd.c, there are
conditionals for kernel version >= 70000 that will use smp_rendezvous if the
conditional is false. I simply hacked all the smp_rendezvous_cpus calls to
smp_rendezvous. it loads and vbox seems to work. in osreldate.h my version
is 700055, so i probably could have changed to if to be > 700055, but, since I
wasn't sure when the smp_rendezvous_cpus function became available, it made
no sense to me to come up with a more elegant patch, and i'm not really
sure if my system is some sort of odd kludge. I installed 7.0 release, but
csup'ed to the most recent kernel a couple of months later to get a more
recent zfs.

anyhow, I think i got it working on my machine. I'm trying to run a winxp guest
that was created on vbox under windoze. I want to use the network adapter
in bridged mode, but when i select "Bridged Adapter" on the network settings,
a message appears in red in the text area at the bottom that says "no bridged
network adapter is selected". There doesn't seem to be any place where I can
select an adapter to which the vm can bridge. I do not recall having to specify
anything on the windoze vbox when I set to bridged, and the windoze machine
that I was running it on has two physical ethernet devices. it seemed to just
pick one! The FreeBSD machine has only one physical ethernet device, a bge,
so I would think the choices would be rather limited.

thanks again,
ron.