Call for tester: VirtualBox 3.1.2 for FreeBSD

Daichi GOTO daichi at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 30 01:54:15 UTC 2009

Thank you for great porting, congratulation VirtualBox 3.1.2!

I have been trying to use VirtualBox 3.1.2 in these 3 days.
Except a matter, that works well rather than 3.0.51.

   Host OS:
     FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT (r201018: Mon Dec 28 21:40:51 JST 2009)
     virtualbox-ose-3.1.2
     virtualbox-ose-kmod-3.1.2
       (all guest os: bridged networking)

   Geust OS checked:
     FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1 i386/amd64
     Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop (32bit/64bit)
     Windows XP PS3

   Good point:
     - now multicore attached guest OS works stably!

   Degraded point:
     - NVIDIA Driver issue gets more sensitive. Despite powerd(8)
       working or not, VirtualBox 3.1.2 and NVIDIA Driver leads
       system freeze easily. nv driver saves you even in this
       situation.

What's the matter I don't know, vboxguest.ko doesn't work on both
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1 i386 guest and amd64 guest.

   (on 8.0R-p1 i386 guest)
   # kldload /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
   link_elf: symbol _Z6strlenPKc undefined
   kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko: No such file or directory
   #
   # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxguest.sh start
   VirtualBox kernel modle (vboxguest) not installed.
   #

   (on 8.0R-p1 amd64 guest)
   # kldload /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
   kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko: Exec format error
   #
   # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxguest.sh start
   VirtualBox kernel modle (vboxguest) not installed.
   #

I have installed FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1 and installed
emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions. Installed software list
by virtualbox-ose-additions as follow:

autoconf-2.62
autoconf-wrapper-20071109
automake-1.10.1
automake-1.9.6_3
automake-wrapper-20071109
bigreqsproto-1.0.2
dev86-0.16.17
fixesproto-4.0
gettext-0.17_1
gmake-3.81_3
help2man-1.36.4_3
inputproto-1.5.0
kBuild-0.1.5.p2
kbproto-1.0.3
libICE-1.0.4_1,1
libSM-1.1.0_1,1
libX11-1.2.1_1,1
libXau-1.0.4
libXcursor-1.1.9_1
libXdmcp-1.0.2_1
libXext-1.0.5,1
libXfixes-4.0.3_1
libXmu-1.0.4,1
libXrender-0.9.4_1
libXt-1.0.5_1
libcheck-0.9.8
libgcrypt-1.4.4
libgpg-error-1.7
libiconv-1.13.1
libpthread-stubs-0.3_3
libtool-2.2.6b
libxcb-1.5
libxml2-2.7.6_1
libxslt-1.1.26
m4-1.4.13,1
p5-gettext-1.05_2
perl-5.8.9_3
pkg-config-0.23_1
python26-2.6.4
renderproto-0.9.3
virtualbox-ose-additions-3.1.2
xcb-proto-1.6
xcmiscproto-1.1.2
xextproto-7.0.5
xf86bigfontproto-1.1.2
xorg-macros-1.2.1
xproto-7.0.15
xtrans-1.2.3
yasm-0.8.0

Is there some points I missed?

On 2009/12/28 08:24, Martin Wilke wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Changelog from VirtualBox is available here:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
>
> Changes in the port:
>    - VirtualBox and the guest additions have been updated to 3.1.2.
>    - Port has been renamed to virtualbox-ose to reflect that we are
>      using the OSE version. Requested by: mm@
>    - A seperate port for the kernel modules has been created: virtualbox-ose-kmod
>    - A seperate port for guest additions for FreeBSD guests has been
>      created: virtualbox-ose-additions
>    - Added proper PulseAudio support for FreeBSD. Contributed by Noriyoshi Kawano
>    - procfs is no longer required because vbox uses sysctl(3) now. Contributed by
>      Baptiste Daroussin and Bernhard Froehlich
>    - Fix build with a non-standard location for the system source. Submitted
>      by: scf@
>
> How to upgrade:
>    - Fetch the new ports:
>      # fetch https://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r601.tar.gz
>      # tar xf virtualbox-port-r601.tar.gz
>
>    - Build the new ports:
>      # cd virtualbox-ose-kmod&&  make
>      # cd ../virtualbox-ose&&  make
>
>    - If build was ok, deinstall old port
>      # pkg_deinstall virtualbox-\*
>
>    - Install new port:
>      # cd ../virtualbox-ose-kmod&&  make install clean
>      # cd ../virtualbox-ose&&  make install clean
>
> For FreeBSD guests within VirtualBox please try the new guest additions port:
>      # fetch https://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r601.tar.gz
>      # tar xf virtualbox-port-r601.tar.gz
>      # cd virtualbox-ose-additions&&  make install clean
>      # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxguest.sh start
>
> Check that the VirtualBox kernel module is loaded via loader.conf
> and reboot the machine.
>
> Check the wiki page for known problems: http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
>
> Please report any functionality which was working with previous versions of
> VirtualBox and no longer working with 3.1.2 or any build failure.
>
> Many thanks to the VirtualBox developers, all tester and patch submitter
> and the whole vbox@ team.
>

> Happy Testing!
>
> - - Martin on behalf of the FreeBSD Vbox Team
>
> - --

> |  PGP    : 0xB1E6FCE9  |  Jabber : miwi(at)BSDCrew.de  |
> |  Skype  : splash_111  |  Mail   : miwi(at)FreeBSD.org |
> |	Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest!		|

Daichi GOTO
81-42-316-7945 | daichi at ongs.co.jp | http://www.ongs.co.jp
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/daichigoto