xen-tools like web interface for virtualbox

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Tue Dec 8 11:01:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, December 8, 2009 1:35 am, Hubert Tournier wrote:

> Hello Bernhard,
>

> Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>>
>> You should have a look at vboxweb which is probably what you are
>> searching for. I've created a port [2] for it if you want to test it on
>> FreeBSD.
>> [2]
>> http://svn.bluelife.at/index.cgi/packages/browse/blueports/www/vboxweb
>>

> Thank you very much for this! I upgraded your port to release 89:
> http://www.frbsd.org/dist/vboxweb-r89.port.tar.bz2

I've seen that there is r91 so updated it again. Thanks for noticing it.

> A few questions/suggestions:
> - at first launch, vboxweb downloads the rdpweb.swf component which is
> under
> a PUEL licence. Are there any free alternatives that you know of, apart
> from
> disabling the relevant lines in the sourcecode in order to remain fully
> open
> source?

No i don't know any alternative. Our FreeBSD vbox port does not have the
rdp code either so it's kinda useless on FreeBSD anyway.

> - for those who don't like the initial connection to google.com, here's a
> quick&dirty patch:
> http://www.frbsd.org/dist/vboxweb-r89.patch-aa

Did not know that but it looks like they are using it for determining the
machine ip. There are probably better ways to do that so it could be best
to create an issue for that.

> - and finally why don't you commit your port to the ports tree?

Because it's not useful for anything at the moment. So i think it would
create more questions than it solves. But once it does something useful i
will commit it to the tree.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/