seems I finally found what upset kqemu on amd64 SMP... shared gdt! (please test patch :)

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 7 08:14:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Bakul Shah wrote:

>>> Comment it out in amd64/amd64/trap.c!

Bletch.

>> getting rid of the message, yes.. but without further issues?
>
> The message is there "because you are not supposed to do it"

s/you/kqemu/ (or interpret what you are not supposed to do as "running kqemu".

> See for instance
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=100953+0+archive/2007/freebsd-emulation/20070415.freebsd-emulation
>
> This seems to have not caused any problem in practice.  And
> any way taking out the message doesn't change the essential
> behavior (the invariant is still broken) but it can speed up
> your emulation considerably.

I should have changed it to a panic long ago.  That would give the correct
number of messages (1) :-).

i386 still doesn't even print a message (perhaps it never did).  The
bug would probably never have existed in any FreeBSD version of kqemu if
i386 had had enough invariant checking.

Bruce