getdents()

Tomasz Formanowski mathom at pifpaf.pl
Sat Jan 26 04:01:50 PST 2008

RD> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:02:41PM +0100, Tomasz Formanowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any hope that this:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=117010
>>
>> will be fixed soon ?
>>
>> Linux emulation is unusable now for newer software, like game servers
>> etc.

RD> in private mails we agreed that tomasz/his-company and me will try
RD> to cooperate on this on...

RD> hopefully this will fruit some results

We've looked through the code and decided to give linux a try. We've
been using freebsd for 5 years in production environment and it's a
good system. So we wont be fixing this bugs, sorry. If it were only
this one bug, than why not, but ...

There were problems with: SMP support, which we hoped would be fixed
in 7.x releases. And maybe it were, but linuxolator is a mess there.
Bottomline is, that not only 2.6 kernel support is incomplete, there
is also faulty 2.4 support. Apart from getdents() problems (which
probably is really a deeper problem - looks like programs crash not on
getdents() but on closedir(). just as something had freed the
descriptor), there seems to be a problem with fork() event in 2.4
kernel and fc4 libs. Programs like team speak 2 and unreal-server
crash when trying to fork.

With all our sympathy to freebsd, we sadly have to say, that this is
going nowhere :(

regards
tf