linprocfs question. Porting app from linux to freebsd

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 05:15:07 PST 2008

Hi all,

I was suggested to contact the linux compatibility team (or Roman
Divacky) to get some help.

I want to port an application from Linux to FreeBSD. The linux app.
makes extensive use of the procfs. Now, I have several options to port
the software:

1 - Use sysctl. The problem here is that some information (about cpu
or memory, for instance) is not available through this interface.
2 - Write a kernel module to get an uniform access (Ivan Vorak
suggested me this)
3 - Use linprocfs.

The easiest to me is the third point. All the access would be very
similar. However, there are some missing files in the linprocfs. I
would like to know if there are some plans of keeping adding more
linux-like files as the devices, filesystems or modules files you can
get under /proc in a linux system or I should look for another
alternative (like the module Ivan suggests.)

Thanks in advance.

PS: some options have already been discussed in the hackers@ and
questions@ lists.