linux_base-f8 giving me guff

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Tue Apr 29 20:26:41 UTC 2008

Boris Samorodov wrote at 22:13 +0400 on Apr 29, 2008:
 > We have packages for that purpose... Or I didn't understand you.

Q: How do packages get built?
A: By running 'make package' which does a 'make install'

So, the problem Kostik described still exists.

When does the ldconfig really need to be run?  At package build time
or at pkg_add time?

 > > Also note that /etc/rc.d/abi runs /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig.
 >
 > ...which will run while booting? That is not enough if you just
 > install a linux port.

I think I don't understand your point.  As you know, you currently
need linux.ko installed and linux ldconfig setup right in order to run
certain linux ports that use linux shared libs.  /etc/rc.d/abi does
both of those things (on boot or when run manually).

You need linux.ko installed to run linux ldconfig which some
linux ports do if they install linux shared libs.

Kostik is requesting a [non-default] way to tell the ports
infrastructure not to die if I want to install a linux port without
linux.ko loaded.

There were some concerns expressed about just warning if ldconfig
doesn't get run because that would leave the ldconfig cache possibly
set incorrectly.

My point is that even if the linux ldconfig's cache is not right on a
port install, it will be corrected the next time /etc/rc.d/abi is run
(to that end, it's better than manually running 'sudo kldload linux').

So let's say you are installing a port to a chroot on removable media
that is intended to be installed on another box - a useful mode of
operation I hope you agree.  The risk of having a incorrectly
populated ldconfig cache is mitigated by the /etc/rc.d/abi script that
will be run when the destination box is booted.

 > > At least add a knob (ala DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES) for when the user
 > > knows better.
 >
 > For packaging needs I suppose to use (an overwritable) variable
 > LINUX_OSRELEASE. It will be introduced at bsd.linux-apps.mk together
 > with other linux-f8 infrastructure ports. See the recent emulation@
 > archives for more details.

Yes, I know - I've glanced at it and am glad there's work in
that direction.  Thanks!

How does LINUX_OSRELEASE help avoid running linux ldconfig on make
install?