CALL FOR TESTERS: linux-f8 infrastructure ports

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 17 07:20:30 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Naram Qashat said:
> As of using the latest patch set (5), I found that a few Linux
> applications I use do not work:
>
> 1) emulators/linux-ePSXe refuses to run:
>
> ./epsxe: error while loading shared libraries: libgmodule-1.2.so.0:
>
>  From what I can see, that file was in linux_base-fc4 because it's
> a part of glib 1.2, but fc6 and up use glib 2 instead.  It's
> possible that there would need to be a port for glib 1.2
> specifically for programs like ePSXe that still use it.
>
> 2) multimedia/linux-realplayer also refuses to run:
>
> /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: error while loading shared
> libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> This probably means that a newer version of RealPlayer needs to be
> in the ports or a version that works with Fedora 8 needs to be in
> the ports separate from the current one.
>
> 3) www/linux-kmopozer seems to start, but just sits there and never
> actually runs.
>
> 4) net/skype starts, but when it brings up the EULA, I get what's
> in the following image:
>
> http://kirby.cyberbotx.com/skype_problem.png

That problem goes away with a glibc update in fc6 and f7. This is the
first I've seen it with f8. FWIW, I'm running f8 on i386 with no
skype problems. Since skype is a binary with no debugging symbols in
the production versions, I have no way of really troubleshooting
this. Please keep me in the loop.

> 5) www/linux-flashplayer9, when used with www/nspluginwrapper,
> causes Firefox to freeze until npviewer.bin is killed.  I also get
> the following messages in the console:
>
> (npviewer.bin:36559): Gtk-WARNING **: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open
>
> (npviewer.bin:36559): Gtk-WARNING **: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open
> *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() wait for reply:
> Message timeout *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR:
> NPClass::Invalidate() invoke: Connection closed *** NSPlugin
> Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Shutdown() invoke: Connection closed
>
> The first NSPlugin Wrapper error comes up before I kill off the
> npviewer.bin process, and the last two messages come up when I kill
> it.  Also, when I use nspluginwrapper -l to see what plugins are
> installed, that command segfaults. It even does so after I remove
> the flash plugin from the browser plugins folder with the command.
> Here's what is in my /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins:
>
> [19:30:34 kirby /celes/test-f8]# ls /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/
> .firefox.keep        libjavaplugin_oji.so npplugger.so
> openvrml.la .thunderbird.keep    libvlcplugin.so      npsidplug.so
>        openvrml.so helix.so             nphelix.xpt
> npwrapper.nppdf.so
>
> Out of all the Linux applications I have installed, only acroread8
> runs without flaws.  However, I do get the following if I run it in
> the console:
>
> rm: cannot remove
> `/home/cyberbotx/.adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Preferences/mozilla/prefs.js':
> Function not implemented
>
> (acroread:36425): Gtk-WARNING **: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> (acroread:36425): Gtk-WARNING **: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> I use KDE3 and have the gtk-qt-engines port installed, telling it
> to try to skin GTK applications as QT, so maybe this is related to
> that.  As an aside, kompozer brings up the same 2 Gtk-WARNING
> messages, yet doesn't run at all.
>
> I also noticed the following in my all.log file when running Linux
> applications:
>
> Apr 16 19:27:03 kirby kernel: 128
> Apr 16 19:27:03 kirby kernel: linux_sys_futex: unknown op 128
> Apr 16 19:27:03 kirby last message repeated 2136 times
>
> Occasionally, op 129 comes up as well.  Not sure if the latest
> updates to 7.0 would fix this or not, I'm still using a src updated
> from RELENG_7_0 and not from RELENG_7 yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Naram Qashat

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html