[RFC] Port for nspluginwrapper

Dave Grochowski malus.x at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 02:13:12 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I wrote a port for nspluginwrapper, which you can find at:

http://elvis.rowan.edu/~grocho98/nspluginwrapper.tar.bz2

For those who do not know what it is, you can find the homepage at:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

Basically, it allows you to run Linux/i386 browser plugins on the native
browsers of other architectures and operating systems. To use it, simply
install the appropriate plugins you would like from ports (I tried it
with www/linux-flashplugin9, but others should work just as well) and
then install nspluginwrapper. As a regular user, run "nspluginwrapper -v
-a -i" to automagically find the plugins on you system and enable them
for use in Firefox. Now, the plugins should work in your browser. I
tried it with Flash 9 and both the graphics and sound worked.
Unfortunately, Flash 9 is a bit buggy for me and crashed frequently, but
I had the same issue when using the plugin with www/linux-firefox as well.

I think the port is pretty complete, but I have only tried it on
FreeBSD/i386 6-STABLE and FreeBSD/i386 7-CURRENT. It should work on
amd64, but I don't have a machine to test it on. If the port is
acceptable, I would not mind maintaining it, except for the fact that I
obviously do not have a commit bit (though that probably is not a huge
issue).

Sincerely,
Dave Grochowski