linux-compat: problems installing rpm, bunch of .so's missing

Wed Mar 28 07:05:54 UTC 2007

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> (from Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:09:54 +0400):

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:56:04 -0700 Steve Franks wrote:
>
>> So, first time I've ever messed with linux compatibility.  This is
>> about where I'm at:
>
>> [steve at aire ~]$ sudo rpm -i picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.rpm

Using rpm is the wrong way to go. Please have a look at the linux-*
ports for examples how to handle it.

>> [steve at aire ~]$ pkg_info
>> linux-expat-1.95.8  Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library
>> linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_5 Linux/i386 binary of Fontconfig
>> linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 Xorg libraries, linux binaries
>> linux_base-fc-4_9   Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for
>> i386/amd64)
>> [steve at aire ~]$
>
> ATM the best place to read is /usr/ports/UPDATING:
> -----
> 20060616:
>   AFFECTS: users of emulation/linux_base-*
> -----
>
> You may skip suggestions how to upgrade from earlier versions and pay
> attention how to override difficulties.

I don't think that this entry will help. I think the problem is the
direct use of rpm.

>> Do we have a handbook page about getting linuz compatibility to
>> actually work?
>
> Well, you may initiate the process. Write down some paragraphs, show
> them at freebsd-emulation at . Somebody may help, etc...

The compatibility works fine for programs in the ports collection. The
problem is that we don't have a description how a linux port should
look like and that we don't tell anywhere to not use rpm.

Is someone willing to write some sentences for the handbook which tell
that rpm has not to be used with the linux_base ports as we don't
populate the rpm database?

Some sentences for the porters handbook regarding linux- ports would
be nice too .

Regarding picasa: I think it is very easy to copy an existing port and
adapting it to picasa. Instead of setting LINUX_DIST_VER set a master
site. If you have problems feel free to ask here.

Be different: conform.