2.6.16 for linuxulator & 7.0 release

Tue Mar 20 09:46:41 UTC 2007

Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> (from Mon, 19 Mar
2007 19:35:44 +0100):

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:06:18PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> (from Mon, 19 Mar
>> 2007 17:49:07 +0100):

>> >no... we act differenly in the kernel depending on how
>> >compat.linux.osrelease
>> >is set... setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL wont change a thing and it WILL
>> >SCREW THINGS
>> >
>> >dont do this
>>
>> Even when we set it to .20 as he suggested instead to .2 as I
>> suggested? With .20 we get the NPTL stuff and maybe not the epoll
>> stuff in the jdk.
>
> I was talking about setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.. this DOES NOT work in
>  our current
> linuxulator and will BREAK things.
>
> the linux_use26() function works on the sysctl
> compat.linux.osrelease and doesnt care
> about LD_ASSUME_KERNEL so kernel things its running 2.6 and userland
>  thinks its running
> 2.4 -> things must break.

It depends on what is used. 2.6 in the kernel changes how some stuff
is handled. If LD_...=2.4.20 expect that the kernel behaves in those
areas like 2.6.16 and at the same times disallows the use of epoll()
and other stuff we don't want to be used, this would be an option. But
this depends upon how java determines how to use epoll() and upon the
expectations of glibc with LD_...=2.4.20. I didn't verified this but
it is easy to verify.

A thought which just crossed my mind is: is an user able to panic the
kernel when 2.6.16 is in effect in the kernel and LD_... is set to
2.4.x and vice versa?

  La Brea Tar Pits
  As seen on the tar channel