Wine takes too long to start program

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Mon Mar 19 17:10:31 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 11:49:34 sebosik at demax.sk wrote:
>> On 3/19/07, sebosik at demax.sk <sebosik at demax.sk> wrote:
>>> I`ve compiled yesterday wine 0.9.33 from ports, and installed. But
>>> when I try to run any MS win based software (notepad.exe, or foxit
>>> pdf reader for example only), wine takes almost 2-3 minutes to run
>>> the program and show window on desktop. Using freebsd 6.2 stable,
>>> Xorg 7.2 and KDE 3.5.6 from ports.
>>>
>>> Anybody know where should be a problem ??
>>
>> Just a guess, but try installing x11-fonts/webfonts and
>> copying them over to \windows\fonts\
>
> Webfonts are installed ( i use them normally), but wine still takes
> too long to start windows program... and nothing is happening on
> console, so no output available. Older wine`s were fine - I think
> before 0.9.26 or maybe older one.

Have you tried running wineprefixcreate? That should update your
~/.wine configuration.

Something else you could try is to (re)move these files from
/usr/local/lib/wine:

winealsa.drv.so
winearts.drv.so
wineaudioio.drv.so
winecoreaudio.drv.so
wineesd.drv.so
winejack.drv.so
winenas.drv.so

Then run winecfg and select OSS as the audio driver in the audio tab.

It's a wild guess, but I've been having problems with some of these
audio drivers lately. I've seen them take a very long time to
initialize, so that may be what you are experiencing as well.