2.6.16 for linuxulator & 7.0 release

Fri Mar 16 15:16:11 UTC 2007

Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> (from Fri, 16 Mar
2007 13:26:58 +0100):

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:00:38PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> In p4 we have the futex/TLS stuff for amd64 but because of the futexes
>> not completely right part it is not committed to current yet. As we
>> already have the futex and TLS stuff for i386 on a similar level in
>> current, I would say we should go ahead and sync the amd64 stuff. It
>> is not used by default, so we don't break existing linux stuff and we
>> get the benefit of more people being able to have a look at it and
>> play with it. So what are your opinions, shall we give jkim@ the green
>> light to MFp4 the futex/TLS stuff?
>
> futexes are broken... I just recieved a report that oracle installer
> hangs on amd64/SMP waiting on a lock. The TLS at amd64 looks good though
>
> I dont see any harm in commiting futexes/TLS for amd64 - go for it kim!
>
> I'd like to see the linux-aio commited as well before 7.0R

I did not had time to have a look at it. I don't know when I get time.

>> Regarding the futexes not being completely right and the epoll stuff:
>> I think it needs to be done now, not in a month or two, else we don't
>> have enough time to let people play with this before the release of
>> 7.0. Anyone with a little bit of time at hand out there? We need a
>> specification what the futexes are supposed to do (so far we didn't
>> find a good description, and the linux code is hard to read and
>> doesn't not really tell what it is _supposed_ to do) and we need
>> people which compare the current code we have with this specification.
>> Finding a regression test for futexes would also be nice.
>
> I plan to apply for SoC this year with a plan to implement epoll/inotify
> interface + "finish" the linux26 stuff... if I get elected I guess things
> will move forward fast :) I definitely plan to look at the futexes (we have
> a testing program so its not that hard)

I will not have time to mentor this year. I intent to participate in
the application voting process only. I don't know if another committer
is willing to mentor a linuxulator project in the SoC.

"No job too big; no fee too big!"
		-- Dr. Peter Venkman, "Ghost-busters"