Linux emulation instability

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 6 00:05:43 UTC 2007

Jung-uk Kim wrote:

> I am currently using ULE and libthr on amd64 and UP.  So, I am not
> sure if I can help you cause I never had this type of problem on
> amd64/UP.  Can you try turning off SMP but with ULE and libthr first?

I can, but I don't think it's likely to happen soonish. I really need
to focus what little development time I have currently on getting BIND
9.4.0 ready for the 7-current base.

> That way, at least we know whether it is SMP issue or not.  Also
> there are known issues with Linux futex support and SMP.  Are you
> using Linux 2.6.16 kernel emulation?  You can check it out by running
> 'sysctl compat.linux.osrelease'.

compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2

Based on your description, and the fact that you're running with
ULE+libthr but with UP, I'd be pretty comfortable saying an SMP
problem is "likely" at this point. If someone wants to come up with
some patches that will likely help the futex+SMP problem, I'll be glad
to test them. Otherwise further testing on my part will have to wait
till I get some more spare cycles.

Thanks,

Doug