Running "Windows Emulation" headless ... possible?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Jun 2 14:21:38 UTC 2007

Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 01:03:37PM +0200, Per Hedeland wrote:
>>
>> Hm? If you mean that it is required to give it an IP address in CURRENT,
>> that's hardly a feature:-) - and I still believe you're wrong about that
>> requirement, see below. It's certainly *possible* to do it in 6.x too.
>
>(You're right, see below).
>
>I should have added, also NOT using the suggestions in the acidos howto,
>as the sysctl variables he gives are no longer available in CURRENT.

And good riddance, as far as I'm concerned.:-) But we were talking about
things that were only possible in CURRENT... Anyway, the point is that
the ifconfig method works at least from 6.1 onwards - I can say for sure
that it doesn't in 5.3, as that is what the box I'm writing this on
runs, and I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that it works in 6.0 but
not earlier.

>> So does mine - of course, that's the line that is causing the error
>> message - but it doesn't cause any actual problems.
>
>Now, in my case, and there may be something (else) that I've missed, if
>tap is open I get that device exists error and qemu won't start.

Humm, earlier you said that the networking failed... If qemu fails
altogether, I think I see the reason: I actually have an 'exit 0' at the
end of my qemu-ifup script, forgot to mention that before... - try it, I
think you'll like it.:-) Without that, the non-zero exit code from
'ifconfig addm' becomes the exit code of the script, and qemu probably
concludes that the network setup failed altogether. (Which is probably
the reason I added that 'exit 0', but I have no memory of that...:-)

--Per Hedeland