Need to rewrite FreeBSD based database-centric app under VMware server 1.0.2, advice?

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Thu Jul 26 08:57:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:49:30PM -0400, Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:

> I haven't found a way to install the VMware tools and the help file is
> giving me no clue. If i simply tell it to install the VMware tools at
> the login prompt from the menu then all it does is sit there and do
> nothing (except i get the ability to cancel the installation).
> Now i admit i haven't given this point the attention it deserves.
> Perhaps, none the less, you have a hint?

Sure:

- select "VM -> Install VMware Tools..."
- login into your guest and mount your cdrom drive
- copy and extract "vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz" from the cdrom
- cd into "vmware-tools-distrib" and start installation with
  "./vmware-install.pl" (perl has to be installed already)
- umount cdrom and select "VM -> Cancel VMware Tools Install..."
  in the menu

If anyone wants to run FreeBSD as guest under VMware ESX: the Tools
delivered with VMware server also work in ESX-Guests.

Uwe